Advocacy Request: Urgent
We need calls to Ron Kind’s office (202-225-5506) before the end of the day Monday. This script from Sherry Machones allows you to use your own words. Please let Reb (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you make a call, so we can pass that information on to the ALA.
- [Give your name, title, and library/organization.]
- Ask Rep. Kind to join as a cosponsor of the Build America’s Libraries Act (the bill number is H.R. 1581)
- Ask Rep. Kind to please support that funding in the 2022 budget resolution.
- The Build America’s Libraries Act would provide Wisconsin $83,188,425 to repair and modernize public library buildings across our state.
- [Mention one or two specific examples of needed upgrades in your library buildings and how they impact users/the community.]
- [If they ask how to cosponsor: the staff contact is Courtney Laudick in Rep. Andy Levin’s office (Courtney.Laudick@mail.house.gov).]
- Trustee Training Week (Aug 23-27) registration is open!
- July 28: IFLS Board of Trustees meeting
- July 29: Youth Services Check-in, fall and winter programming
- Aug 10: Webmaster Office Hours
- Apply to be a part of DPI’s Wisconsin Libraries Transforming Communities Engaged Leadership Academy. The 10-week series will run from September 8 through November 12, 2021. Applications are open now.
- Sep 30: Love Scrabble and also literacy? Registration for Literacy Chippewa Valley’s Scrabble Bee is open.
Play Make Learn Conference
The Play Make Learn Conference, held August 5-6, promotes high-quality learning opportunities for educators, researchers, developers, designers, foundation leaders, policy makers, museum and library professionals, and school leaders who are dedicated to promoting making, gaming, and playful learning. It aims to engage attendees in cutting-edge learning science ideas and experience; communicate state-of-the-art design, education, and research; demonstrate new and upcoming games and technology; and network to spark new projects. Early registration rate of $100 is available for the first 100 registrants! Regular program fee is $125. Register here.
BadgerLink Newspapers Community Survey
The 2021 BadgerLink Newspapers Community Survey is now open to gather feedback on your satisfaction with the current BadgerLink newspaper resources, and any desired features and functions of these collections in the future.
RA Form for Your Website
Save your hair and your sanity
I’ve had several people over the last few weeks contact me to get help retrieving a Facebook account, changing Google data and getting into Canva. Save yourself some time and the hair you don’t pull out of your head. Please carve out a secure place at your library to make a record of login credentials. Use any template. I’m sure you have other accounts to keep track of, but include these:
- Facebook: Best practice is to have at least two admins on each account, and update that regularly. It is a seriously time-consuming pain to reclaim your Facebook account.
- All other social media: Same advice.
- Google My Business: You log in with an email to make any changes to maps and other information that Google shares. Best practice is to sign in with a general library e-mail and have at least two people who can make changes.